Monday, November 10, 2008

Clear Water, White Sand, Man Ladies, must be Boracay!

Boracay, The Philippines, home of the coldest airport, manladies, jamjars, scuba diving, cheap novelty souveniers, amazing food and $1.20AUD cocktails! I'd say The Philippines was about culture, history and rediscovering my inner chi, but that would be a complete lie......

Our journey to Boracay was a long one, Hong Kong to Manila, then the layover in a freezing cold airport before a red eye flight to Caticlan and a ferry to Boracay, oh and did I mention the two Tuk Tuk rides in amongst all this. It was well worth it though the second we saw the beach. Pristine water, soft sand and people offering full body massages for about five Australian, SCANDALOUS i know! Basically we spent all day every day lying on the beach, with sessions in the water to cool down. I of course got a massage on one of the days and felt so relaxed, lying on the beach, being pampered. I also went Scuba Diving for the first time ever, yes I know, I'm a horrible Australian that should be deported... Anyway, it was so much fun! It's definitely something I want to do again, even if Nemo did collide with my inner ear and cause me enough pain to let my air supply come out of my mouth. Now that could've been dangerous! It wasn't the nicest reef ever and it didn't have a huge amount of wildlife, but it was a perfect intoduction to diving and I got to see things you definitely can't see from the surface. Only thing, next time I maybe will try not to be ridiculously hungover in the process. I also did a huge amount of shopping in Boracay, souveniers and trinkets mostly, but I did buy two dresses for prices so cheap that I'm 100% certain the first time I wear them they'll split down the side. Then again, maybe that could just be my forever widening frame from the cocktails and food I ate...?


The night life in Boracay was insane, the place that pillaged most of our money was Cocomangas, or the home of the fifteen shot challenge. Basically, the idea is, if you are capable of still standing after drinking fifteen shots, you get a t-shirt and a point for your country. Australia was ranked 6th, which surprised me a little, I thought Australians went to Bali, apparently we go to The Philippines too. None of our group did the challenge, mainly because we'd been pre-drinking at places which charge 1.20AUDS for cocktails that definitely aren't lacking in alcohol. Cocomangas is also famous for its JamJars which are literally cocktail in an old Jam Jar. Really tasty and potent stuff. The club was extemely hot, but, the walk through high tide to get to and from it is amazingly refreshing and much needed. Also possibly a dangerous concept as swimming was done both nights we went there. Arguably the biggest night of the trip was the last one. Zarina, Kristal and I had a 630am flight from Caticlan and so planned ot have a few drinks and be tucked in bed by 1am. PROBLEM... 2 free shots, 3 Bars, 4 Happy Hour Cocktails, 5 friendly Indonesians, 6 Free Drinks and 7 drunk exchange students later it was 4am... we had to be up at 5, whoops!


Manila, sorry to say didn't do much for me, but Boracay was an amazing place, and home to the worst hangover of my life, for this reason it'll always hold a special place in my heart, and stomach...
Pictures:
Boracay White Sands Beach
The largest smoothie of Kristal and Mines lives
The huge, worst idea in the world night at Cocomangas!

No comments: